Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999

If antenatal screening tests find something

View original article on NHS Choices

Most antenatal screening tests will not find anything, but there's a chance you'll be told your baby could be born with a condition.

If this happens to you, there's always support available.

It can help to find out as much as you can about the condition your baby may have.

A specialist doctor (obstetrician) or midwife will explain what the screening results mean and talk to you about your options.

Your appointments

Your appointments should take place in a private and quiet space. But this can sometimes be difficult in a busy hospital.

You can bring your partner, a family member or friend with you.

It might help to write down any questions you have before you go. Ask the doctor or midwife to explain anything again if you need them to.

You could ask things like:

  • Can you explain what my baby may have?
  • What would that mean for my baby?
  • Will we need any special care or treatment before birth?
  • What would life be like for my baby if they have this condition?

You may be offered further tests (sometimes called diagnostic tests).

These tests check if your baby definitely has the condition screening tests have said they might have.

The tests you may be offered are:

You may also have further scans.

It's up to you to decide if you want to do any further tests. You can discuss this with a doctor or midwife.


In most cases, you'll find out if your baby has the condition they were tested for. But in some cases this may not be possible.

Read more about getting amniocentesis results or CVS results.

This can be a very difficult decision. You may find you feel differently from one day to the next.

You do not have to make this decision on your own. Speak to your doctor, midwife, family and friends about your options.

You have time to think about your decision – whatever you decide, you'll have support.

Read more about what may happen if you:

It can help to speak to:

  • your partner, family or friends
  • a midwife or specialist doctor
  • a local support group
  • charities that support families with your baby's condition
  • a counsellor – you do not need a referral from your GP (find out more about how to see a counsellor)

Charities you can contact

Local Services. Ready to Help You Optimal Wealth Management Ltd
Hicks & Co - Chartered Accountants